Family Birth Center
Santiam Hospital's new birth center has a fully equipment operating room within steps.
Labor and Birth Options
The Family Birth Center offers a range of birthing options tailored to you. We want to help you create a childbirth experience that is as unique as you are. Safe, expert care is coordinated by you and your health care team. Santiam Hospital also offers in-room tubs for labor. You will have the option to move about the room, to change birthing positions, and to use the exercise ball. If you desire medication during labor, 24-hour anesthesia coverage is available for epidural pain management.
Santiam Hospital offer in patients' room water tubs for labor.
The benefits of laboring in water are numerous for both you and baby. The act of immersing yourself in a spacious tub of warm water will immediately soothe the body, allowing buoyancy and a loss of gravity to assist with labor. Position changes are easier, there is a sense of privacy in the water, and your partner can even support you in our labor tubs.
Laboring in water encourages widening of the pelvis, and helps with the baby's descent through the birth canal. A potential benefit of laboring in water is decreased pain during labor; with relaxation, less adrenalin is produced, while beta-endorphin and oxytocin, the body's natural pain-relievers, are increased.
Benefits for Mother
- Warm water is soothing, comforting and relaxing
- In the later stages of labor, water has been shown to help relax a woman's body and to increase her energy level
- The effect of buoyancy lessens a mother's body weight, allowing free movement and new positioning
- Immersion in water often helps lower high blood pressure caused by anxiety
- The water seems to reduce stress-related hormones, allowing the mother's body to produce endorphins which serve as pain-inhibitors
- Since the water provides a greater sense of privacy, it can reduce inhibitions, anxiety and help ease pain
- As the leading laboring woman relaxes physically, she is able to relax mentally with greater ability to focus on the birth process
- Water causes the perineum to become more elastic and relaxed, reducing the incidence and severity of tearing or need for an episiotomy leading to stitches
- Tubs are large enough for spouse/partner to join for support of laboring woman
Benefits for Baby
- Provides an environment similar to the amniotic sac
- Eases the stress of the birth thus increasing reassurance and sense of security
Cesarean Section Operating Room
Santiam Hospital's cesarean section operating room is fully-equipped, state-of-the-art, and within steps of the Labor & Delivery area. We also offer "Gentle C-Sections" at Santiam Hospital. Your partner will be allowed at your bedside during the procedure. This also allows the mother and partner to see baby during delivery. Mom and baby will be able to experience skin-to-skin contact and begin breast-feeding as soon as possible within the recovery period. Baby will stay with mom and birth partner in the C-section operating room until both can be safely transferred to their private patient room. Mom is walking soon after delivery, and is able to eat the same day.
About C-Section OR:
- A C-Section can be scheduled or emergent
- Your spouse/partner can be at your bedside during the C-section
- The C-Section OR is a fully equipped, sterile environment
- Baby will stay with mom in the C-section OR until both can be safely transferred to their private patient room
Santiam Hospital Offers "Gentle C-Sections"
- Our Gentle C-Sections procedure allows Mom & birth partner to see baby during delivery
- Mom and baby experience skin-to-skin contact and may begin breast feeding immediately upon delivery
- Baby, Mom & birth partner may stay together in the same private room
- Mom is walking soon after delivery, and is able to eat the same day